National Dish of Argentina – Carbonada Criolla Stew
|Stewing beef (cut into 1 inch chunks)||2 lbs|
|Large tomatoes (cut into big chunks)||4|
|Large green pepper (cut into big chunks)||1|
|Tablespoons olive oil||3|
|Large onion (diced)||1|
|cloves garlic (minced)||3|
|Teaspoon dried oregano||1|
|Cups of canned chicken stock||2|
|Irish potatoes (diced)||3|
|Sweet potatoes (diced)||3|
|Cups frozen corn kernels||2|
|Zucchinis (diced into ½ inch chunks)||2|
|Peaches (diced into ½ inch chunks)||2|
|Pears (diced into ½ inch chunks)||2|
Carbonada Criolla Stew: This popular Argentinian stew is a very hearty meal and it is made with beef, vegetables, and fruit.
Directions for Preparing Carbonada Criolla Stew
- Using a large heavy pot or Dutch oven pot
- Cook the chunks of beef in hot oil. The beef may need to be cooked in batches to ensure that all of the meat is cooked evenly.
- Remove the meat from the pot and set it aside.
- In this same pot, add the tomato, onion, and green pepper chunks together with the minced garlic.
- The vegetables will cook in the natural fat released by the beef.
- Allow the vegetables to cook until they are almost tender.
- Flavor the vegetables with a couple of bay leaves and dried oregano.
- Pour in the chicken stock, stir and bring to a boil.
- Add the cooked beef to the vegetables in the pot as well as the chunks of Irish potato and sweet potato.
- Cover the pot with a lid and let the stew simmer for about fifteen (15) minutes.
- Then add the frozen corn and zucchini chunks.
- Let the stew simmer for ten (10) more minutes.
- When the vegetables are almost tender, add the peaches and pears.
- Cook the stew for five (5) more minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add salt to taste.Carbonada Criolla Stew is served hot.