National Dish of Brazil Feijoada
|Smoked ham hocks||1 lb.|
|Black beans||1 lb.|
|Mexican chorizo / Portuguese linguica sausages||1 lb.|
|Canadian bacon / Brazilian Carne Seca||½ lb.|
|Smoked Ribs||½ lb.|
|Pig’s tail, ear and snout (optional)||1 each|
|Lean Pork (cubed in ½ inch pieces)||½ lb.|
|Beef (cubed in 1/2inch pieces)||½ lb.|
|Wine vinegar||2 tbsps.|
|Olive oil||3 tbsps.|
|Large Onion (diced)||1|
|Cloves of Garlic||5|
|Salt and Black pepper||to taste|
Brazilian Feijoada: In the sixteenth century, African slaves were introduced to Brazil for labor in the mining and agricultural industries. African, Portuguese and European cuisines came together over time as the slaves and native peoples altered the European dishes. Feijoada is one such dish. It was originally a dish that was cooked for prisoners and various parts of the pig such as snout, ears, tail, and feet were used.
Directions for Preparing Feijoada
- Soak the black beans overnight in a bowl of water.
- The next day, on low heat, cook the black beans for about four(4) to five(5) hours until they are soft.
- Mash ½ cup of the beans and set aside.
- Fill a large pot of water and bring to a boil.
- Add in the ham hocks, Carne Seca, chorizo, and ribs.
- After ten (10-15) to fifteen minutes, change the water and boil again.
- Repeat again as this will tenderize the cured meats and remove the excess fat.
- Drain and set aside.
- Heat the oil in a large skillet and sauté the onions and garlic.
- Add in the bacon strips and fry for three(3) minutes.
- Then add the pork and beef cubes. Cook for about three(3) minutes.
- In a separate pan, add ½ cup of mashed black beans together with olive oil, vinegar, and hot sauce. Cook over medium heat for three(3) minutes.
- Stir in the bean paste to the skillet containing the pork and beef.
Add this to the boiled meats along with the whole, cooked black beans, and some fresh water.
- Let simmer on medium-high heat for 1 ½ hour.
- Once the meats are cooked, it is done.
Serve over white rice. Add hot sauce if desired.
You May Also Like
Brunei National dish |Canada National dish | National Dish of the Democratic Republic of Congo |National Dish of Germany | National Dish of Dominican Republic | National Dish of Ghana | Jollof Rice Cooked with Coconut Milk | How to make Oven Baked Jollof Rice | National Dish of Peru | National Dish of Balearic Islands | National Dish of NORTH KOREA | National Dish of Hungary | National Dish of Andalusia | National Dish of Armenia | National Dish of Ital | National Dish of Croatia | National Dish of Malaysia |