National Dish of Czech Republic Vepro Knedlo Zelo
|pork roast||2 lbs.|
|vegetable oil||1 tbsp.|
|Caraway seeds||2 tbsps.|
|medium onion (chopped)||1|
|ground black pepper||1 tsp.|
|beer / water||½ cup|
|garlic powder||1 tbsp.|
|sachet dry yeast||½|
|warm water||2 cups|
|stale bread roll (cubed)||1|
|slices bacon (cut into small strips)||4|
|sauerkraut with juice||1 lb.|
|medium onion (chopped)||1|
|caraway seeds||1 tsp.|
|cold water||2 tsp.|
|Salt & Pepper|
|Sugar to taste|
|Vinegar to tast|
A classic Czech dish, Vepro Knedlo Zelo is the shortened form of Veprova Knedliky Zeli which translates to roast pork, dumplings and sauerkraut. These three delicacies are prepared separately but served together.
Directions for Preparing Vepro Knedlo Zelo
For the Roast Pork
- Combine the caraway seeds, vegetable oil, mustard, salt, pepper and garlic powder into a paste.
- Rub this paste onto the pork and let it marinate for forty five minutes (0:45).
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees.
- Place the chopped onions into a roasting pan and pour the beer or water over it.
- Place the marinated pork on top of the onions.
- Cover with foil and bake for about one and a half hours (1:30), basting the pork with its natural juices occasionally.
- Turn the pork over while baking so all sides of the meat is cooked evenly.
- Create a gravy by combining the remaining pork juice, cornstarch and butter into a saucepan and allowing it to simmer until thick.
For the Dumplings
- Combine flour, salt, egg and cubed bread roll in a bowl.
- Mix the yeast with warm water and sugar, allow it to rise, then add this to the bowl.
- Knead together for ten minutes (0:10).
- Create four dumpling logs and set on a floured sheet.
- Cover the logs and let it rise.
- Boil the logs in salted water in a covered pot for about twenty minutes (0:20).
- Remove dumplings from the pot and slice.
- Fry the bacon until golden brown and set aside.
- Sauté the chopped onion in butter until soft.
- Add the sauerkraut to the onions and cook until tender.
- Toss in the fried bacon and season with salt and pepper.
- Sprinkle in the caraway seeds.
- Combine the cornstarch and water separately, then stir it into the sauerkraut.
- Allow it to simmer for a few minutes before turning off the heat.
- Add sugar and vinegar to taste.Lay slices of roast pork with a few dumplings and a portion of sauerkraut on a serving dish. Drizzle the gravy over all of it and serve.
[amazon_link asins=’B004P2LEE0′ template=’ProductAd’ store=’national_foods-20′ marketplace=’US’ link_id=’5b407df7-0453-11e8-b2fc-d19bd8e45a38′][amazon_link asins=’B00JGPAGK4′ template=’ProductAd’ store=’national_foods-20′ marketplace=’US’ link_id=’168c88c1-0455-11e8-a707-f15a95cd2ac4′][amazon_link asins=’B00008CM69′ template=’ProductAd’ store=’national_foods-20′ marketplace=’US’ link_id=’3959aed9-0455-11e8-8c03-c13c7c776a1d’][amazon_link asins=’B007TIN0GW’ template=’ProductAd’ store=’national_foods-20′ marketplace=’US’ link_id=’767db3a9-0459-11e8-b3a5-3fdfa6ecfe76′]