|Chicken (cut into pieces)||1|
|large lemons (juiced)||6|
|large onions (peeled and sliced)||6|
|Cloves garlic (minced)||5|
|Peanut oil||3 tbsps.|
|Chili pepper (seeded and finely chopped)||1|
|Chicken bouillon cubes (crumbled)||3|
|Cooked white rice|
Poulet Yassa is a simple chicken dish that is popular in the West African region. It is distinguished by an onion and lemon infused marinade which tenderizes the tough meat of the African fowls found in these regions. This dish is considered to be the national dish of Guinea although it is also prepared in neighboring countries like Senegal.
Directions for Preparing Poulet Yassa
- Make the marinade by mixing the peanut oil, chili pepper, lemon juice, sliced onion, salt, pepper, bay leaf, garlic and bouillon cubes in a large glass bowl.
- Place the pieces of chicken into this bowl and mix thoroughly until the meat is coated with the marinade.
- Cover the meat with [amazon_textlink asin=’B01FDB1TGO’ text=’plastic wrap’ template=’ProductLink’ store=’national_foods-20′ marketplace=’US’ link_id=’0dc92104-e2f1-11e7-9d61-85d38c132a12′] and let it chill overnight in the refrigerator.
- Heat a skillet and pour in enough vegetable oil to fry the chicken.
- Fry the chicken pieces until golden brown and cooked through.
- Alternatively, the chicken can be baked until cooked.
- Set the chicken aside and sauté the onions from the marinade in a separate saucepan.
- When the onions are brown and caramelized, add the marinade to the pan.
- Add the water to this and stir everything together.
- Reduce the heat and allow to simmer for thirty (0:30) minutes.
- Place the fried chicken into the sauce and let it simmer for just a few minutes more.
- Turn off the heat.
- Plate the white rice and top with the tangy poulet yassa.
[amazon_link asins=’B01NASAQ63′ template=’ProductAd’ store=’national_foods-20′ marketplace=’US’ link_id=’f19c4c20-e2f0-11e7-8bc2-2f3a4595c3b4′]