National Dish of Netherlands – Stamppot
|large russet potatoes (peeled and cut into 1 inch cubes)||5|
|unsalted butter||2 tbsp.|
|medium onion (peeled and chopped)||1|
|cloves garlic (minced)||2|
|bunch kale (de-stemmed and chopped into ½ inch pieces)||1|
|white wine vinegar||½ tsp.|
|olive oil||3 tbsp.|
|green onions (chopped)||4|
|cooked, smoked pork sausage (sliced)||1 lb.|
|black pepper||¼ tsp.|
Stamppot, also known as hutspot is a hearty dish made of mashed potato, vegetables and smoked sausages such as Dutch Rookworst, Spanish Chorizo or Polish Kielbasa. There are different versions of this dish depending on whether kale, sauerkraut or endives are used. Stamppot is traditionally made on October 3rd in the Dutch city of Leiden to celebrate its liberation from the Spanish.
Directions for Preparing Stamppot
- Boil the potatoes in salted water for about fifteen (0:15) minutes until soft.
- Drain the cooking water and return the potatoes to the pot.
- Add the butter, salt, and black pepper to the potatoes.
- Mash the potatoes with a potato masher until the desired texture is achieved, then set aside.
- Heat a tablespoon of olive oil in a skillet, add the onions and sauté for six (0:06) minutes until soft.
- Add the garlic to the onions along with the chopped kale.
- Add the white wine vinegar and water to the kale, then place the lid on the skillet.
- Cook the kale for about three (0:03) minutes until wilted.
- Remove the lid, stir the ingredients and allow the kale to cook for an additional three (0:03) minutes until tender.
- Season the kale with a pinch of salt and black pepper if desired, then transfer it to the mashed potatoes.
- Fold in the kale to the mashed potatoes until thoroughly combined, then set aside.
- Heat a tablespoon of olive oil in the same skillet and add the sliced sausages.
- Brown the sausages and set aside.
- Separate the mashed potato into serving bowls, then top each with the sausages.
- Drizzle olive oil over each bowl and garnish with the chopped green onions.
You May Also Like
National Dish of Peru | National Dish of Balearic Islands | National Dish of NORTH KOREA | National Dish of Hungary | National Dish of Andalusia | National Dish of Armenia | National Dish of Ital | National Dish of Croatia | National Dish of Malaysia | National Dish of Antigua & Barbuda| National Dish of Philippines | National Dish of Norway | National Dish of Ireland | National Dish of Japan | Dominica National Dish | National Dish of Trinidad & Tobago
Calories in serving84
- Main Dish
- National Dish
- National dish of Netherlands
- National Dish of Netherlands Stamppot
- National food
- National food of Netherlands
- Netherlands cuisine
- Netherlands dish
- Netherlands food
- Netherlands national dish
- Netherlands national food
- Netherlands Stamppot
- what is the national dish of Netherlands