National Dish of Taiwan Beef Noodle Soup
|Boneless beef shank (cut into 1-inch cubes)||2 lbs.|
|Asian wheat flour noodles||2 lbs.|
|Quarts water||2 ½|
|Light soy sauce||½ cup|
|Dark soy sauce||¼ cup|
|Whole star anise cloves||2|
|Whole Sichuan peppercorns||1 tbsp.|
|Chinese rice wine||1 cup|
|Sichuan chili bean sauce||1 tbsp.|
|large plum tomato (roughly chopped)||1|
|Small red chili peppers (roughly chopped)||2-3|
|Slices fresh ginger root||6|
|Canola / peanut oil||3 tbsp.|
The national dish of Taiwan is Beef Noodle Soup. This flavorful and savory dish is found in almost every restaurant in the country. Every year a competition is held in Taipei to see who can cook the best Beef Noodle Soup. Although there are many variations of this dish due to different vegetables and seasonings, the method of preparation remains the same where the broth and noodles are cooked separately but are served together.
Directions for Preparing Beef Noodle Soup
- Heat 2 tablespoons of oil in a large Dutch oven pot.
- Add the beef to the pot and cook until brown on all sides; this may need to be done in batches.
- Transfer the cooked beef to a bowl and set it aside.
- Add the remaining oil to the pot.
- When the oil is hot and shimmering, add ginger, garlic, cloves, and chili peppers.
- Stir and cook until fragrant, then add the tomato.
- Cook for one (0:01) minute, then stir in the sugar and allow it to dissolve.
- Add the chili bean sauce and cook until the mixture begins to bubble.
- Return the browned beef to the pot and mix to coat the meat with the spices.
- Add the rice wine and cook for one (0:01) minute.
- Add the star anise cloves, peppercorns, both types of soy sauce, and water.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer and cover the pot.
- Cook for one hour and five minutes (1:05) or until the beef is tender.
- Use a pair of tongs to remove the beef from the broth and set it aside in a separate container.
- Strain the broth through a colander or mesh strainer and discard the solids.
- Return the broth to the pot and add the beef.
- Add spinach or baby bok choy leaves to the hot broth and allow them to wilt.
- Boil the noodles according to package instructions.
- Divide the cooked noodles into serving bowls.
- Ladle the broth, greens, and beef chunks over the noodles.
National Dish of Sudan
Calories in serving800
Cook1 hr 5 min
Share & Print
← Previous National Dish of Sudan Ful Medames