Categories Main Dish Soup Andorra European Dishes Andorra cuisine Andorra dish Andorra food Andorra national food Escudella De Pages national food of Andorra
|Salted pork||4 OZ|
|Chickens (sliced into bite sized pieces)||½|
|Veal (sliced into bite sized pieces)||½ lb.|
|Potatoes (peeled and diced)||½ lb.|
|Quarts of water||2 ¼|
|Finely chopped onions||4 OZ.|
|Olive oil||3 tbsp.|
|Medium leek (chopped)||1|
|Carrot (finely diced)||5 OZ.|
|Green cabbage (finely chopped)||4 OZ.|
|Elbow/Ciocchetti pasta||3 OZ.|
|Great Northern beans (cooked)||4 OZ.|
|Pinch of saffron threads|
Escudella De Pages is a hearty winter stew consisting of vegetables, meat, and pasta. It is a dish that has its roots in Spanish, French, and Catalonian cuisine. This simple and traditional Andorran dish is a country stew that utilizes three kinds of meat and vegetables grown in rural Andorra.
Directions for Preparing Escudella De Pages
- Blanch the salted pork in hot water to remove excess salt
- Dice the pork into small pieces.
- In a large skillet, heat the olive oil and sauté the chopped onions.
- As soon as the onion begins to brown, add the salted pork pieces, chopped chicken, and veal.
- Add the chopped potatoes, carrots, and leek to the skillet.
- Add the chopped green cabbage.
- Give this a thorough stir to allow the meat and vegetable flavors to marry.
- In a large saucepan, create a broth by adding the ham and veal bones to water.
- Simmer on low heat and when it is almost ready, add the saffron and salt.
- Remove the bones from the broth and discard them.
- Empty the vegetable and meat mixture from the skillet into the broth.
- Add the beans, rice, and pasta to the broth.
- Cook for about fifteen minutes until the pasta and rice become tender.
- Use a ladle to dish out the stew into bowls and serve piping hot with a chunk of homemade bread.