National Dish of Austria Weiner Schnitzel mit Beilagen
|pork / veal boneless cutlets (sliced ¼ inch thick)||12|
|Salt to taste|
|Sprigs of parsley|
|Whole cranberry sauce|
The Weiner Schnitzel mit beilagen is a thin, fried veal or pork cutlet served with sides. Pork cutlets were the preferred choice by Austrians but using veal cutlets in this dish was a sign of wealth.
Directions for Preparing Weiner Schnitzel mit Beilagen
- Use a meat tenderizer to pound each cutlet into a thin 1/8 inch piece of meat.
- Sprinkle salt on the cutlets. Set aside.
- Make an egg and milk mixture by whisking three eggs and 2 tablespoons of milk together.
- Place two cups of flour in a large bowl.
- In another bowl, place 2 cups of breadcrumbs.
- First, coat each cutlet in flour, then coat it in the egg mixture and finally coat it in the breadcrumbs
- Pour the vegetable oil into a cast iron skillet to cover a ½ inch of the pan and heat the oil to medium-high heat.
- Delicately place the cutlets into the hot oil, only frying a few at a time depending on the size of the skillet and how many cutlets can comfortably fit into it.
- When the cutlets become golden brown, remove from the oil with a slotted spoon.
- Place two cutlets onto a plate. Arrange lemon wedges, whole cranberry sauce and a sprig of parsley over the meat as a garnish.
- Weiner schnitzel mit beilagen is traditionally served with salads, fries or rice.
There are many varieties of this dish featuring different sauces and sauteed vegetables. In addition to native regional traditions, the cuisine has been influenced by Hungarian, Bohemia Czech, Jewish, Italian, Balkan and French cuisine, from which both dishes and methods of food preparation have often been borrowed. Austrian cuisine is, therefore, one of the most multicultural and transcultural in Europe.
You May Also Like
National Dish of Peru | National Dish of Balearic Islands | National Dish of NORTH KOREA | National Dish of Hungary | National Dish of Andalusia | National Dish of Armenia | National Dish of Ital | National Dish of Croatia | National Dish of Malaysia | National Dish of Antigua & Barbuda| National Dish of Philippines | National Dish of Norway | National Dish of Ireland | National Dish of Japan | Dominica National Dish | National Dish of Trinidad & Tobago | National Dish of South Africa | National Dish of Netherlands | National Dish of Thailand Pad Thai | National Dish of New Zealand | National Dish of Hong Kong
- Main Dish
- Austria cuisine
- Austria dish
- Austria food
- Austria national dish
- Austria national food
- Austria Weiner Schnitzel mit Beilagen
- National Dish
- National dish of Austria
- National Dish of Austria Weiner Schnitzel mit Beilagen
- National food
- National food of Austria
- Weiner Schnitzel mit Beilagen
- what is the national dish of Austria