National Dish of Belize – Boil Up
|Fish (sliced)||2 lbs|
|Small piece of salted pork (diced)||1|
|Large sweet potatoes||2|
|Tomatoes / can of diced tomatoes||3|
|Baking powder||2 teaspoons|
The Kriol people of Belize descended from the African slaves and Scottish woodcutters who settled there in the 17th century and as such, the local dishes like this Belizean Boil Up is largely influenced by both Scottish and African cuisine.
Directions for Preparing Boil Up
- Prepare the boil cakes by combining the flour, baking powder and water to form soft dough.
- Separate the dough into three inch balls and flatten each.
- Prepare a tomato sauce by first sautéing onions and then adding diced tomatoes. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Peel the yam, cassava and sweet potatoes.
- Chop the yam, cassava and sweet potatoes into chunks measuring about three inches.
- Remove the skin off the green bananas and slice.
- Peel the ripe plantains and chop into cubes.
- Fill a Dutch oven pot with water and bring to a boil
- Add the chopped ground provisions together with the green bananas and plantain cubes.
- Add the cubes of salted pork to the pot.
- Cook the pork, bananas, plantains and ground provisions until tender.
- A few minutes before it is cooked, place the boil cake dough in the water.
- When cooked, use a slotted spoon to remove everything besides the salted pork.
- Add the raw fish slices to the pot containing the water and salted pork.
- Cook together until the fish starts to become tender.
- Place the eggs into the pot and hard-boil them.
- Remove the eggs from the pot, drench in cold water and remove the shells.
- Slice the eggs in halves.
- Plate all of boiled foods on a shallow dish.
- Place the boiled eggs on top of the provisions, bananas, and plantains, boil cakes, fish and salted pork.
- Finish by pouring the tomato sauce over everything.
You May Also Like:
National Dish of Belize Traditional Rice and Beans | Brunei National dish | Canada National dish | National Dish of Slovenia |National Dish of Germany | National Dish of Dominican Republic | National Dish of China | National Dish of Sudan | National Dish of Taiwan | National Dish of Suriname | National Dish of Swaziland | National Dish of Sweden | National Dish of Switzerland | National Dish of Tanzania | National Dish of Kyrgyzstan | National Dish of Kuwait | National Dish of Bahamas | National Dish of Kazakhstan | National Dish of Kenya |