National Dish of Estonia – Verivorst with Mulgikapsad
|Salt pork||1 lb.|
|Pig’s blood||1 qt.|
|Fresh pork belly||½ lb.|
|Dried marjoram||3 tbsps.|
|Pearl barley||1 ½ lbs.|
|Chopped onions||2 cups|
|Hog casings, each cut into 18 inch long pieces||12|
|Fresh lean pork (cut into bite sized pieces)||2 ½ lbs.|
|Sauerkraut||4 ½ cups|
|Salt & Pepper|
In Estonia blood sausages or Verivorst is especially made at Christmas time. It is eaten with Mulgikapsad, a type of sauerkraut and a red berry jam.
Directions for Preparing Verivorst with Mulgikapsad
- Boil the pearl barley in salted water for about forty five (0:45) minutes.
- Drain and place in a large bowl.
- Add the marjoram and salt to the barley, mix well and set aside.
- Cut the salt and fresh pork into half inch chunks.
- Put the pork into a heated saucepan with a little water to get it cooking.
- Increase the heat and brown the pork.
- When the pork begins sizzling, add the chopped onions and cook for thirty (0:30) minutes until they are tender and brown.
- Add the cooked pork and onion to the barley.
- Stir well and season to taste.
- Allow the mixture to cool properly.
- Pour the blood into the mixture and stir gently to avoid foaming.
- Prepare the hog casings by rinsing them twice and soaking them in water.
- Fit a funnel into one end of the casing and begin stuffing the sausage mixture into it.
- Do not over stuff the sausage, fill it less than three-quarters full and ensure there is empty casing on both ends.
- Tie both ends of the casing together with twine.
- Poach the sausages in hot water for about fifteen (0:15) minutes.
- If any sausage floats, prick any air pockets with a knife and let it continue to poach.
- Lay the poached sausages on a tray to dry.
- Place them in a greased baking tray and bake for one (1:00) hour at 350 degrees F or until the sausages become crispy and cooked through.
- Place the meat in a saucepan.
- Lay the sauerkraut over the meat.
- Rinse the uncooked barley in water, then drain and add to the pan.
- Add the salt, pepper and bay leaf.
- Pour enough water to cover the ingredients.
- Bring to a boil, then cover the pan, reduce the heat and allow to simmer undisturbed for about 2-3 hours.
- When cooked, stir and adjust the seasonings to taste.Serve the crisp Verivorst with Mulgikapsad and lingonberry jam.
National Dish of China | National Dish of Sri Lanka | Brunei National dish |Canada National dish | National Dish of Slovenia |National Dish of Germany |National Dish of Slovenia | National Dish of Dominican Republic