|For Berbere Spice Blend|
|Small onion (diced)||1|
|Cloves garlic (minced)||2|
|Chili powder||1 tbsp.|
|All spice||1 tbsp.|
|Minced ginger||1 tsp.|
|White pepper||½ tsp.|
|Ground fenugreek||½ tsp.|
|Ground coriander||½ tsp.|
|Ground nutmeg||¼ tsp.|
|Ground cinnamon||1 pinch|
|Beef (cut into cubes)||2 lbs.|
|Can (14 oz.) diced tomatoes||1|
|Berbere spice blend||4 tbsps.|
|Teff flour||½ lb.|
|warm water||2 cups|
|Pinch baking soda||1|
Zigini is a very spicy meat stew that is considered to be the national dish of Eritrea. One of its key ingredients is Berbere, a famous blend of spices used in African cuisine. Zigini is traditionally eaten with a type of flatbread called Injera.
Directions for Preparing Zigini with Injera
For Berbere Spice Blend
- In a shallow pan, roast the cardamom, coriander, ginger, fenugreek, cloves, nutmeg and cinnamon on low heat for two (0:02) minutes.
- Cool the roasted spices.
- Add garlic, half of the salt, onion and two tablespoons of water to the cooled spices, then mix and set aside.
- Toast the chili pepper, white pepper, paprika, allspice and remaining salt in a pan for one (0:01) minute.
- Pour in the rest of the water, stir and let simmer for fifteen (0:15) minutes, then cool.
- Pour the cooled berbere in a jar, top with a layer of oil and store in the refrigerator.
- Brown the beef cubes in a hot pan containing the oil.
- Add onions and garlic.
- After two (0:02) minutes, add the berbere.
- Cook for an additional two (0:02) minutes and then add the can of tomatoes and its liquid.
- Season with salt and pepper, then toss in the scallions.
- Simmer on low heat for two (2:00) hours.
- Add the cilantro and cook for an additional thirty (0:30) minutes.
- Blend all the ingredients except the salt for one (0:01) minute.
- Sprinkle in the salt and blend for fifteen seconds.
- Transfer the mixture to a bowl, cover and refrigerate for forty eight (48:00) hours.
- Heat a griddle or skillet to high heat.
- Smear the griddle with a little oil.
- Use a ladle to spoon the injera batter onto the griddle; it should resemble a pancake.
- Cook for a minute or two, then flip.
- Continue making the injera pancakes till there is no more batter.Serve the zigini stew with injera.