Dominica National Dish Mountain Chicken and Provisions
|fresh frog leg||12 – 16|
|cloves whole garlic||2|
|minced garlic||1 tsp.|
|lime (sliced in half)||1|
|small onion (sliced)||1|
|dasheen roots (each cut into 4 pieces)||2|
|yams (each sliced into 4 pieces)||2|
|green pepper (sliced)||1|
|fresh thyme (minced)||¼ tsp.|
|Salt & Pepper|
Mountain Chicken is an endangered frog species native to the island of Dominica. It is considered the national dish of Dominica. The natives and indigenous Carib Indians, also known as the Kalinago People of the island, have prepared and eaten Mountain Chicken for many years. The cooked frog is traditionally eaten with provisions, rice and peas.
Directions for Preparing Mountain Chicken and Provisions
- Rinse the frog legs in water.
- Use a sharp knife to cut and peel away the skin from the flesh.
- Discard the skin and wash the frog legs with lime juice.
- Rinse the legs with cold water.
- Place the frog legs into a bowl and season with the thyme, vinegar, minced garlic, salt and pepper.
- Allow the seasoned legs to sit for two (2:00) hours.
- Put the flour in a shallow dish and coat each leg in flour.
- Heat the oil to high in a skillet.
- Fry the flour coated legs until golden brown and set aside.
- Prepare a gravy for the frog leg by first sautéing the onion in a mixture of melted butter and one tablespoon of oil.
- Add a cup of water, bring to a boil and then add flour to thicken the gravy.
- Let it simmer for five (0:05) minutes on medium heat.
- Add the fried frog legs to the gravy, cook for a minute and turn off the heat.
- Boil the provisions (yams and dasheen root) in salted water together with the sliced green pepper.
- Test the provisions with a fork and when it is tender, turn off the heat and drain.Serve the Mountain Chicken and provisions with rice and peas.
National Dish of Belize Boil Up | Brunei National dish |Canada National dish | National Dish of Slovenia |National Dish of Germany |National Dish of Slovenia | National Dish of Dominican Republic | National Dish of China | National Dish of Sudan | National Dish of Estonia Verivorst with Mulgikapsad
- dominica mountain chicken
- dominica national dish
- dominica national food
- dominica recipes
- dominican recipes for chicken
- mountain chicken dominica
- national dish for dominica
- National Dish of Dominica
- National food of Dominica
- what is dominica national dish
- what is the national dish of dominica