|fresh, boiled ackee / 1 can ackee||2 cups|
|boneless salted codfish||½ lb.|
|freshly ground black pepper||1 tsp.|
|small onion (peeled and thinly diced)||1|
|small bell pepper (diced)||1|
|sprig fresh thyme||1|
|slices bacon (sliced)||4-6|
|vegetable oil||¼ cup|
|scallions (finely sliced)||2|
|minced garlic||1 tsp.|
|Scotch Bonnet pepper / ½ tsp. cayenne pepper||1|
Ackee is the national fruit of Jamaica and it is used to prepare the national dish of Ackee and Salt fish. The ackee is prepared with vegetables and savory salt fish. It is usually eaten for breakfast with Caribbean dumplings, homemade bread, fried plantains and boiled green bananas.
Directions for Preparing Ackee and Salt fish
- Soak the salted codfish in a bowl of hot water for one (1:00) hour.
- Drain and soak again in hot water for an additional hour to remove some of the salt.
- Drain and transfer the codfish to a shallow dish.
- Use a fork to shred the codfish into smaller bits.
- Set the shredded codfish aside.
- Place a skillet over medium heat and add the bacon when hot.
- Fry the bacon until brown and crisp, then remove from the skillet and set aside.
- Remove the bacon drippings and return the cooked bacon to the skillet together with the vegetable oil.
- Add the garlic, onions, scallions and thyme.
- Sauté together, stirring occasionally to prevent burning.
- Add the tomatoes and bell peppers to the skillet and cook for about three (0:03) minutes.
- Add the the Scotch Bonnet slices or cayenne pepper.
- Sprinkle in the paprika and black pepper, then stir together and let cook for about five (0:05) minutes.
- Add a little water if needed.
- Place the shredded salt fish into the skillet and mix with the vegetables.
- Cook for about two (0:02) minutes, then stir in the ackee.
- Cook for an additional three (0:03) minutes before turning off the heat.
National Dish of Belize Boil Up | Brunei National dish |Canada National dish | National Dish of Slovenia |National Dish of Germany |National Dish of Slovenia | National Dish of Dominican Republic | National Dish of China | National Dish of Sudan | National Dish of Estonia Verivorst with Mulgikapsad | Dominica National Dish