National Dish of Kyrgyzstan Laghman
|For the noodles|
|flour||3 ½ cups|
|For the Broth|
|beef chuck (julienned)||½ lb.|
|medium onion (diced)||1|
|green bell pepper (cut into 1 inch thick strips)||1|
|medium carrot (thinly julienned)||1|
|small potatoes (peeled and cubed)||3|
|cloves garlic (chopped)||3|
|medium tomato (thinly sliced)||1|
|tomato paste||1 tsp.|
|black pepper||½ tsp.|
|ground cumin||1 tsp.|
Laghman is a noodle and broth dish that is very popular in Kyrgyzstan. The noodles are usually handmade and the broth consists of meat and vegetables. It is considered a national dish of the local Dungan and Uyghur ethnic minorities.
Directions for Preparing Laghman
Directions for Preparing the noodles
- Warm one cup of water.
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, warm water, eggs and salt.
- Knead for twenty (0:20) minutes into a springy ball of dough.
- Let the dough rest in a covered container for twenty (0:20) minutes.
- Divide the dough into halves.
- Roll out each piece of dough with a rolling pin into a flat circle.
- Roll the dough into a tube by rolling it over the rolling pin.
- Slide the rolling pin out of the tube and slice the tube horizontally into half inch cuts.
- Loosen the strips into long noodles.
- Pour the rest of the water in a large saucepan, add a little salt and let simmer.
- Boil the noodles for three (0:03) minutes, then drain and rinse in cold water.
- Add the oil to the noodles and mix well to prevent the noodles from sticking to each other.
- Place the noodles into serving bowls.
Directions for Preparing the Broth
- Preheat a big wok on high heat, then add the oil.
- Stir-fry the beef in the oil until brown.
- Add the onions to the wok.
- Add the black pepper, salt and cumin, then stir together evenly.
- Add the tomato paste and slices, along with half of the chopped garlic.
- Cook until the tomatoes are tender.
- Add the remaining vegetables and stir-fry for about four (0:04) minutes, stirring continuously.
- Add the water and reduce the heat.
- Allow the broth to simmer for twenty (0:20) minutes, then add the remaining garlic.
- Let the soup simmer for an additional twenty (0:20) minutes, then turn off the heat.
- Pour some of the broth, meat and vegetables over the cooked noodles, then serve.
National Dish of Belize Boil Up | Brunei National dish | Canada National dish | National Dish of Slovenia |National Dish of Germany |National Dish of Slovenia | National Dish of Dominican Republic | National Dish of China | National Dish of Sudan | National Dish of Taiwan | National Dish of Suriname | National Dish of Swaziland | National Dish of Sweden | National Dish of Switzerland | National Dish of Tanzania