National Dish of Tanzania Ugali na Maharage ya Nazi
|300g corn flour||2 cups|
|500g canned kidney beans (drained)||2 ½ cups|
|vegetable oil||5 tbsp.|
|onions (peeled and diced)||2|
|large carrot (diced)||1|
|coconut milk||1 cup|
Ugali is a staple in many African countries. It is a bland side dish which is made from cornmeal, banana, or semolina and cassava flour. The consistency of Ugali can vary from doughy to porridge-like. In Tanzania, Ugali is typically eaten with a kidney bean stew. This dish is usually prepared on December 9th, which is Tanzania’s Independence Day.
Directions on how to Prepare Ugali
- Warm the water for three (0:03) minutes in a large pot, but do not allow it to boil.
- Add half of the corn flour to the water and stir with a wooden spoon until thick.
- When the mixture resembles a bubbling porridge, cover the pot and cook for four (0:04) minutes over medium heat.
- Remove the pot from the heat and stir in the remaining flour.
- Stir the mixture well and remove any lumps.
- Spread the doughy mixture over the base of the pot and return it to the stove.
- Cover the pot and allow it to cook for four (0:04) minutes.
- Flip the mixture to the other side, then repeat the previous step.
- Shape the Ugali into a neat ball and set aside on a serving dish.
- In a separate pan, heat the vegetable oil and sauté the onions in the oil.
- Add the tomatoes to the onions.
- When the tomatoes begin to soften, add the carrots and cook for two (0:02) minutes.
- Add the canned beans, then season with salt and pepper.
- Stir in the coconut milk.
- Reduce the heat and simmer for three (0:03) minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Turn off the heat.
- Serve the bean stew with the Ugali.
National Dish of Belize Boil Up | Brunei National dish | Canada National dish | National Dish of Slovenia |National Dish of Germany |National Dish of Slovenia | National Dish of Dominican Republic | National Dish of China | National Dish of Sudan | National Dish of Taiwan | National Dish of Suriname | National Dish of Swaziland | National Dish of Sweden | National Dish of Switzerland