National Dish of Singapore – Hainanese Chicken Rice
For the Rice
|white rice (rinsed)||2 cups|
|piece ginger (thinly sliced)||1 (2cm)|
|clove garlic (crushed)||1|
|vegetable oil||1 tbsp.|
|chicken stock||3 cups|
For the Chicken
|whole chicken||1 (1.2kg)|
|iece ginger (thinly sliced)||1 (5cm) p|
|sesame oil||2 tsp.|
|cucumber (peeled and sliced)||1|
Hainanese Chicken Rice is considered to be one of Singapore’s national dishes. This dish originated in Hainan, China but became popular only when immigrants brought it to Singapore. Hainanese Chicken Rice consists of a separate dish of fragrant rice which is served with the chicken, along with sauces made of chili peppers and ginger.
Directions for Preparing Hainanese Chicken Rice
For the Rice
- Heat the vegetable oil in a large pot.
- Sauté the garlic and ginger in the oil, then add the rice and cook for two (0:02) minutes.
- Add three cups of chicken stock and stir to combine.
- Reduce heat to a simmer and place a lid on the pot.
- Cook for fifteen (0:15) minutes until the liquid has absorbed.
- Turn off the heat and let it stand for ten (0:10) minutes with the lid on.
For the Chicken
- Bring 8 cups of water to a boil.
- Flavor the water by adding a teaspoon of salt and the pandan leaves.
- Rub the rest of the salt over the chicken and place the ginger and green onions into the body cavity.
- Place the chicken, breast side down, into the pot of boiling water and cover with a tight-fitting lid.
- Cook the chicken for forty-five (0:45) minutes.
- Turn off the heat and let stand for one (1:00) hour to allow the meat to continue cooking in the residual heat.
- Uncover the pot, remove the chicken and place it in a large container of iced water for five (0:05) minutes.
- Remove the chicken and drain well, then pat dry with paper towels.
- Remove the ginger and green onions from the chicken.
- Lightly brush the chicken with sesame oil.
- Use a cleaver to cut the chicken into pieces and then place on a serving platter.
- Garnish with cucumber slices and sprigs of coriander.
- Serve the chicken with the rice, along with an assortment of spicy sauces.
You May Also Like:
Brunei National dish |Canada National dish | National Dish of Democratic Republic of Congo |National Dish of Germany | National Dish of Dominican Republic | National Dish of Ghana | Jollof Rice Cooked with Coconut Milk | Jollof Rice Cooked with Coconut Milk | How to make Oven Baked Jollof Rice | National Dish of Peru | National Dish of Balearic Islands | National Dish of NORTH KOREA | National Dish of Hungary | National Dish of Andalusia | National Dish of Armenia | National Dish of Ital | National Dish of Croatia | National Dish of Malaysia | National Dish of Antigua & Barbuda| National Dish of Philippines | National Dish of Norway |
- Main Dish
- Hainanese Chicken Rice
- National Dish
- National dish of Singapore
- National Dish of Singapore Hainanese Chicken Rice
- National food
- National food of Singapore
- Singapore - Hainanese Chicken Rice
- Singapore cuisine
- Singapore dish
- Singapore food
- Singapore national dish
- Singapore national food
- Singaporean cuisine
- Singaporeans dish