National Dish of Norway – Farikal
|lamb breast / shoulder||lbs. l|
|large head of cabbage||1|
|all-purpose flour||2 tbsp.|
|whole black peppercorns||1 tbsp.|
|Dash of salt|
Farikal is Norway’s national dish. It originated in western Norway and is now very popular throughout the country. The word Farikal means “sheep in cabbage.” It is a simple casserole made of cabbage, mutton, and whole peppercorns. Lamb can be used instead of mutton to get a milder tasting Farikal flavor. The dish itself has a distinct umami flavor. Traditionally Farikal is eaten on the 26th of September or the last Thursday of September in some parts of Norway. Farikal is served with potatoes, carrots, cowberry sauce, and flatbread.
Directions for Preparing Farikal
- Cut the lamb meat into 2″-size pieces, then wash and set aside.
- Wash the head of cabbage and cut into big pieces.
- Discard the root end of the cabbage and set aside.
- Dredge the lamb meat in flour, then Line the base of a pot with some of the meat.
- lay some of the cabbage leaves on top of the lamb meat.
- then add some of the whole black peppercorns
- repeat step 4, 5 and 6 until all the meat, cabbage and peppercorns are used up.
- Fill a saucepan of water and bring to a boil, then pour the boiling water over the lamb and cabbage leaves so that half the meat is submerged in the hot water.
- Add salt to the pot.
- Place the pot on the stove over low heat.
- Cover the pot with a tight-fitting lid and allow the Farikal to simmer for two (2:00) hours or until the meat and cabbage leaves are tender.
- Turn off the heat and transfer to serving bowls.
- Serve Farikal with boiled potatoes, flatbread, and cowberry sauce.
You May Also Like:
Brunei National dish |Canada National dish | National Dish of Democratic Republic of Congo |National Dish of Germany | National Dish of Dominican Republic | National Dish of Ghana | Jollof Rice Cooked with Coconut Milk | Jollof Rice Cooked with Coconut Milk | How to make Oven Baked Jollof Rice | National Dish of Peru | National Dish of Balearic Islands | National Dish of NORTH KOREA | National Dish of Hungary | National Dish of Andalusia | National Dish of Armenia | National Dish of Ital | National Dish of Croatia | National Dish of Malaysia | National Dish of Antigua & Barbuda| National Dish of Philippines | National Dish of Singapore |
- Main Dish
- Side Dish
- National Dish
- National dish of Norway
- National Dish of Norway Farikal
- National food
- National food of Norway
- Norway – Farikal
- Norway cuisine
- Norway dish
- Norway food
- Norway national dish
- Norway national food
- Norwayan cuisine
- Norwayans dish
- what is the national dish of Norway