National Dish of United States – Apple Pie
For the Pastry Crust
|all-purpose flour||2 ½ cups|
|chilled vegetable shortening (cubed)||1/3 cup|
|chilled, unsalted butter (cut into ½ inch pieces)||10 tbsp.|
|Ice water||6 tbsp.|
For the Filling
|Granny Smith apples (peeled, cored, cut into ¼ inch thick slices)||3 ½ lbs.|
|golden brown sugar||¼ cup|
|all-purpose flour||3 tbsp.|
|lemon juice||1 tbsp.|
|grated lemon peel||2 tsp.|
|ground cinnamon||1 ½ tsp.|
|ground ginger||1/8 tsp.|
|ground nutmeg||1/8 tsp.|
|Granulated sugar (topping)|
One of America’s most iconic foods is Apple Pie. Apple Pie was brought to American colonies during the 17th and 18th centuries by the Dutch, British, and the Swedes. However, it only became a symbol of American pride (National Dish) in the 19th and 20th centuries. Since then, this baked treat is made especially for patriotic holidays such as Independence Day. Typical American Apple Pie has a crust designed with interwoven strips of pastry, similar to a lattice.
Directions for Preparing Apple Pie
For the Apple Pie Pastry Crust
- Blend the flour, sugar, and salt in a food processor.
- Add the chilled butter and shortening.
- Blend until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs.
- Add the ice water and process until a clumpy mixture is achieved.
- Shape the dough into a ball, then divide in half and roll each into a flat circle.
- Wrap both circles of dough in plastic wrap, then chill for two (2:00) hours in the refrigerator.
- Spread one sheet of dough onto a floured surface and roll out into a 12-inch round, then set aside.
- Roll out the second sheet of dough into a 13-inch round.
- Cut the second sheet of dough into twelve equal strips.
For Apple Pie the Filling
- Place all of the filling ingredients except the apples in a large bowl.
- Mix thoroughly, then add the apples.
- Ensure that the apples are coated with the other ingredients.
- Arrange the 12-inch round of pastry into a 9-inch glass pie dish.
- Gently press the dough into the base of the dish and along the sides.
- Spoon the filling into the pie dish.
- Place six strips of pastry over the top of the pie, leaving gaps in between.
- Form a lattice by placing the remaining six strips of pastry over the pie in the opposite direction.
- Gently fold over the edges and press with a fork to seal.
- Brush the lattice with milk and sprinkle with granulated sugar if desired.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F°.
- Place the Apple Pie on the lowest rack in the oven.
- Bake for ten (0:10) minutes.
- Reduce the heat to 375 degrees F°.
- Bake for forty to forty-five (0:40-0.45) minutes or until the top is golden and the juices have thickened.
- Cool for one (1:00) hour, and serve.
You May Also Like
National Dish of Belize Boil Up | Brunei National dish |Canada National dish | National Dish of Democratic Republic of Congo |National Dish of Germany | National Dish of Dominican Republic |National Dish of Trinidad & Tobago |National Dish of Antigua and Barbuda | National Dish of Madagascar
Serving Size: 8
Calories Per Serving: 296