National Dish of Afghanistan Kabuli Palau
Ingredients for Kabuli Palau
|long grained rice (Basmati rice is a good choice)||2 cups|
|medium onion (diced)||1|
|vegetable oil||4 Oz.|
|saffron powder||¼ tsp.|
|large carrots (sliced into thin strips)||2|
|chicken or 1 ½ lamb meat (sliced into bite sized pieces)||1 lb.|
|raisins or sultanas||4 Oz.|
|brown sugar||1 tsp|
|ground cardamom||1 tsp|
|almonds/pistachios (finely chopped)||¼ cup|
|Salt or salt to taste||3 tsp|
Kabuli Palau (Also known as Quaboli Palaw, Qabili Palau or Palao, Palaw, Pilau or Pilaf, and Qabili/Kabuli Palau) is a popular meal in Afghanistan. It is a mixed rice dish containing flavorful lamb or chicken chunks, carrot strips, raisins, and eastern spices. It is traditionally topped with chopped almonds or pistachios.
Directions for Preparing Kabuli Palau
- Sauté the diced onion in vegetable oil until it begins to caramelize.
- Add the chicken or lamb pieces and stir fry until the meat is lightly browned.
- Add two cups of water to the pot and add a teaspoon each of salt, cumin, ground cardamom, cinnamon, and ¼ teaspoon of saffron powder.
- Cover the pot and allow the meat to simmer in this broth for about an hour or until the meat becomes tender. Remove the meat from the pot and set aside separately.
- Add two cups of rice to the broth and cook until the rice grains are tender.
- Sauté the carrot strips in a mixture of ¼ cup vegetable oil and one teaspoon of sugar until the carrots become lightly browned.
- Remove the carrot pieces and cook the sultanas or raisins in the oil until they become swollen.
- Mix the cooked rice, carrot strips, raisins, and meat together and place it into a greased casserole dish. Cover the dish with foil and bake at 300° Fahrenheit for approximately 45 minutes.
- After plating, sprinkle chopped almonds or pistachios on the top and enjoy Quaboli Palaw.
You May Also Like
Brunei National dish |Canada National dish | National Dish of the Democratic Republic of Congo |National Dish of Germany | National Dish of Dominican Republic | National Dish of Ghana | Jollof Rice Cooked with Coconut Milk | How to make Oven Baked Jollof Rice | National Dish of Peru | National Dish of Balearic Islands | National Dish of NORTH KOREA | National Dish of Hungary | National Dish of Andalusia | National Dish of Armenia | National Dish of Ital | National Dish of Croatia | National Dish of Malaysia | National Dish of Antigua and Barbuda
Serving Size: 4
Calories Per Serving: 174
Cook1 hr 50 min
- Main Dish
- Afghanistan cuisine
- Afghanistan dish
- Afghanistan food
- Afghanistan National Dish
- Afghanistan National food
- Kabuli Palao
- Kabuli Palau
- Kabuli Palaw
- Kabuli Pilaf
- Kabuli Pilau
- Kabuli Qabili
- National Dish
- National Dish of Afghanistan
- National Dish of Afghanistan – Kabuli Palau
- National Dish of Afghanistan – Kabuli Palaw
- National Dish of Afghanistan – Qabili Palau
- National Dish of Afghanistan – Quaboli Palaw
- National food
- National food of Afghanistan
- Qabili Palau
- Quaboli Palaw