National Dish of Russia Shchi
Ingredients for Shchi
|large head of cabbage (shredded)||1|
|large carrot (peeled and grated)||1|
|celery rib (chopped)||1|
|large onion (peeled and chopped)||1|
|large russet potatoes (peeled and chopped)||2|
|can (14 oz.) undrained, diced tomatoes||1|
|vegetable stock / water||8 cups|
|Black peppercorns to taste|
|Salt and Pepper to taste|
|Fresh dill (garnish)|
|Sour cream (garnish)|
One of the national dishes of Russia is Shchi. This is a savory cabbage soup. There are many variations to Shchi, some of which are made with fresh cabbage and others are made with sauerkraut (called sour shchi). Variations containing spinach and sorrel are called green shchi. This Russian national dish is eaten with sour cream and rye bread.
Directions for Preparing Shchi
- Melt the butter in a large Dutch oven or soup pot.
- Add the chopped onions and sauté them in the melted butter until translucent.
- Add the grated carrot, chopped celery, and shredded cabbage to the pot.
- Sauté the vegetables together for about three (0:03) minutes.
- Add the bay leaf and mix in the black peppercorns.
- Pour in the vegetable stock or water and bring to a boil.
- Reduce the heat and cover the pot, then let the soup simmer for about fifteen (0:15) minutes.
- Add the chopped potatoes to the soup and bring to a boil.
- Cover the pot, reduce the heat, and allow the soup to simmer again for about ten (0:10) minutes.
- Add the canned tomatoes and bring to a boil, then let simmer uncovered for five (0:05) minutes.
- Season the soup with salt and pepper.
- Use a spoon to remove the bay leaf and peppercorns if desired.
- Ladle the Shchi into serving bowls and top each with a dollop of sour cream.
- Garnish with fresh dill.
Serve warm with slices of rye bread.
You May Also Like
Brunei National dish |Canada National dish | National Dish of the Democratic Republic of Congo |National Dish of Germany | National Dish of Dominican Republic | National Dish of Ghana | Jollof Rice Cooked with Coconut Milk | How to make Oven Baked Jollof Rice | National Dish of Peru | National Dish of Balearic Islands | National Dish of NORTH KOREA | National Dish of Hungary | National Dish of Andalusia | National Dish of Armenia | National Dish of Ital | National Dish of Croatia | National Dish of Malaysia | National Dish of Antigua and Barbuda | National Dish of Afghanistan