National Dish of Papua New Guinea Mumu
Ingredients for Shchi
|assorted root vegetables (carrots, sweet potatoes, yucca root)||1 lb.|
|pork (cut into bite sized pieces)||¾ lb.|
|chicken (cut into bite sized pieces)||¾ lb.|
|pineapple chunks||¾ lb.|
|green vegetables (spinach, kale, green beans)||¾ lb.|
|onion (peeled and sliced)||1|
|cloves garlic (minced)||2|
|can coconut milk||1|
Mumu is the national dish of Papua New Guinea. It is a slow-cooked assortment of fruits, vegetables, root crops, and meat. Mumu is also referred to as a method of cooking in Papua New Guinea where a makeshift outdoor oven is created using hot stones. In this dish, all of the ingredients are layered in the pot and slow-cooked until everything is tender. Mumu is traditionally eaten with the hands.
Directions for Preparing Mumu
- Peel and slice the root vegetables, then set aside.
- Grease a large casserole dish or Dutch oven with cooking oil.
- Line the base of the dish with banana leaves.
- Place a layer of the yucca root, carrot, and sweet potato over the banana leaves.
- Place a layer of pork over the root vegetables.
- Lay the pineapple chunks over the pork.
- Place the chicken pieces over the pineapple chunks.
- Arrange the green vegetables, onions, and garlic over the chicken.
- Pour the coconut milk over the layers of ingredients and then make a layer of spinach or kale leaves to cover everything.
- Place a lid over the casserole dish or Dutch oven and place over a grated open fire for about fifteen (0:15) minutes to bring the juices up to cooking temperature.
- Reduce the heat and allow the Mumu to simmer gently for about one (1:00) hour or until the vegetables and meat are tender. Serve hot.
You May Also Like
Brunei National dish |Canada National dish | National Dish of the Democratic Republic of Congo |National Dish of Germany | National Dish of Dominican Republic | National Dish of Ghana | Jollof Rice Cooked with Coconut Milk | How to make Oven Baked Jollof Rice | National Dish of Peru | National Dish of Balearic Islands | National Dish of NORTH KOREA | National Dish of Hungary | National Dish of Andalusia | National Dish of Armenia | National Dish of Ital | National Dish of Croatia | National Dish of Malaysia | National Dish of Antigua and Barbuda | National Dish of Afghanistan | National Dish of Russia
Serving Size: 4
Calories Per Serving: 1106