National Dish of Croatia – Istrian Jota
|borlotti or pinto beans||5 oz.|
|smoked spare ribs||18 oz.|
|Smoked bacon / local Pancetta||4 oz.|
Istrian Jota is a popular stew eaten in Istria and other parts of northwestern Croatia. The stew is made from dried beans and smoked meats like pancetta and spare ribs. It is seasoned with a lot of garlic. The main ingredient of Istrian Jota is sauerkraut which hints at the Austrian and Hungarian origins of this dish.
Directions for Making Istrian Jota
- Fill a bowl with water and add the beans, then allow it to soak for 24 hours.
- Rinse the beans and set aside.
- Rinse the sauerkraut in water and drain.
- Peel and mince the garlic cloves.
- Chop the bacon/pancetta into very tiny pieces.
- Finely chop the parsley.
- Combine the garlic, bacon, and parsley by mixing it all together into a thick paste.
- Peel the potatoes and cut into cubes.
- Place the sauerkraut and spare ribs in a pot of water and bring to a boil.
- Fill another saucepan with water and boil the soaked beans.
- When the beans are half cooked, combine with the sauerkraut and spare ribs.
- Allow the beans, ribs, and sauerkraut to cook together.
- Add the bay leaves, peppercorns and the paste of garlic, bacon, and parsley to the pot.
- A few minutes before the stew is finished, add the potatoes.
- Stir well and sprinkle salt to taste.
- Turn off the heat when the potatoes become tender and the stew has thickened.
- Use a slotted spoon to remove the spare ribs. Serve the spare ribs separately from the stew.
Blank Recipe Book: for All My Favorite Dishes
Blank Recipe Book for All My Favorite Dishes
The “Blank Recipe Book for All My Favorite Dishes” is great for chefs, cooks, food lovers, and food connoisseurs, practically anyone who wants to write/save their favorite recipes. Over a 135 Large Spacious, beautifully designed Recording Pages.
So Many Different Uses:
✅ For vegetarians & vegans
✅ Blank recipe organizer for keeping track of family recipes
✅ For birthday gifts
✅ Blank Recipe book For cooking classes
✅ Blank Cookbook for Schools
✅ Blank Recipe Journal for Restaurants
✅ Use as a recipe journal
✅ Use as a recipe diary
✅ Gifts for foodies
✅ Blank Recipe book for juicers
✅ A blank book for Cupcake Recipes
You May Also Like:
Brunei National dish |Canada National dish | National Dish of Democratic Republic of Congo |National Dish of Germany | National Dish of Dominican Republic | National Dish of Ghana | Jollof Rice Cooked with Coconut Milk | How to make Oven Baked Jollof Rice