National Dish of Belgium – Carbonnades Flamandes
|beef (diced)||3 lbs.|
|slices bacon (diced)||4|
|medium onions (sliced)||3|
|cloves garlic (crushed)||3|
|olive oil||2 tbsp.|
|beef broth||1 ½ cups|
|parsley (chopped)||1 cup|
|whole grain mustard||1 tbsp.|
|brown sugar||1 tbsp.|
More than 1000 varieties of beer are produced in Belgium and as it is a plentiful commodity, it is used in Belgian cuisines such as Carbonnades Flamandes which is a famous Belgian beef and beer stew.
Directions for Preparing Carbonnades Flamandes
- Create a marinade for the beef by combining the beer, garlic, bay leaves, and a pinch of salt in a large bowl.
- Marinate the beef for at least two hours.
- Remove the beef from the liquid and pat dry with paper towels.
- Keep the marinade to add to the stew.
- Add the olive oil to a large Dutch oven pot.
- When the oil is hot, add the beef.
- Cook until the beef is golden brown.
- Remove the beef from the pot with a slotted spoon and set it aside.
- Retain the oil in the Dutch oven pot and fry the bacon until crisp.
- Remove the cooked bacon and set it aside.
- In the same pot, add the sliced onions and a pinch of salt.
- Allow the onions to caramelize before adding the flour.
- After adding the flour, stir to coat the onions.
- When the flour is cooked, pour in the beef broth.
- Add the beef marinade to the pot and stir in the fried bacon and the sprigs of thyme.
- Add the beef to the stew and give it a stir.
- Place the lid on the pot, reduce the heat and let the stew simmer for about an hour and thirty (1:30) minutes.
- Add the brown sugar, mustard, and pepper to the stew and cook for an additional thirty (0:30) minutes.
- Turn off the heat when the meat is tender.
- Sprinkle the chopped parsley over the stew.
- Plate and serve with fries, mashed potato, or buttered vegetables.
National Dish of Belize Boil Up