National Dish of Germany – Sauerbraten
|beef rump||3 lbs.|
|large onions (diced)||2|
|red wine vinegar||1 cup|
|white sugar||1 tbsp.|
|gingersnap cookies (crumbled)||10|
|Vegetable oil||2 tbsps.|
|All-purpose flour||2 tbsps.|
|black pepper||1 tbsp.|
A popular German dish is Sauerbraten which is considered one of the country’s national dishes. It is essentially a German pot roast and is made with beef, veal, or venison as the main meat. Traditional sauerbraten was prepared using horse meat.
Directions for Preparing Sauerbraten
- Create a marinade for the meat by combining the red wine vinegar, black pepper, white sugar, onions, salt, cloves, and bay leaves.
- Marinate the beef rump in a covered container for 2-3 days in the refrigerator, turning it daily.
- Remove the meat from the container and pat dry with paper towels.
- Reserve the marinade.
- Combine the flour with a little salt and black pepper, then coat the beef rump with the flour mixture.
- Heat the vegetable oil in a large Dutch oven pot.
- Place the beef in the pot and fry for about ten (0:10) minutes or until all sides are brown.
- Pour in the previously reserved marinade so that it coats the meat.
- Cover the pot and reduce the heat to medium-low.
- Allow the beef to cook for about four (4:00) hours or until it is tender and thoroughly cooked.
- Transfer the cooked beef rump to a serving platter and use a sharp knife to slice the beef.
- Strain the cooking liquid to remove any solids, then return the liquid to the pot.
- Add the crumbled gingersnap cookies and simmer for ten (0:10) minutes till the gravy thickens.
- Pour the gravy over the sliced beef.
- Serve hot with potato dumplings.
Pork, beef, and poultry are the main varieties of meat consumed in Germany, pork being the most popular. The average annual meat consumption is 59 kg (130 lb). Among poultry, chicken is most common, although duck, goose, and turkey are also consumed. Game meats, especially boar, hare, and venison are also widely available, especially in autumn and winter. Lamb and goat are less popular.
National Dish of Belize Boil Up