|For the Pastry|
|For the Filling|
|Flour||1 ½ tbsps.|
|milk||1 ¼ cups|
|Cocoa powder||2 tbsps.|
|caster sugar||1/3 cup|
|For the Sauce|
|dark chocolate chips||1 cup|
|thin cream||1/3 cup|
|freshly brewed coffee||¼ cup|
The cuisine of Gibraltar can be described as a blend between Mediterranean and British due to the inhabitants who settled there from Malta, Genoa and Portugal and the country’s ties with Britain. Profiteroles is the country’s national dish and it is a decadent sweet pastry that is served at celebrations and festivals.
Directions For Preparing Profiteroles
For the Pastry
- Heat the water and butter in a saucepan.
- Stir continuously for three (0:03) minutes until the butter melts and the liquid comes to a boil.
- Add the flour and mix well with a wooden spoon.
- Reduce the heat and cook for about two (0:02) minutes, stirring until the mixtures leaves the sides of the pan.
- Allow the mixture to cool for five (0:05) minutes.
- Gradually add the whisked eggs, mixing continuously until a thick paste forms.
- Use a teaspoon to place blobs of the paste onto a baking sheet and smear the tops with any leftover egg.
- Preheat the oven to 200 degrees F and bake the pastries for twenty (0:20) minutes or until they are golden.
- Remove from the oven and pierce the base of each profiterole with a knife to allow steam to escape.
- Return to the oven and bake for an additional ten (0:10) minutes.
For the Filling
- Heat the milk in a saucepan.
- Combine the caster sugar, egg yolks, cocoa powder and flour using a whisk.
- Gradually whisk the hot milk into the mixture.
- Pour the mixture into a clean saucepan, stir it continuously and let it cook for five (0:05) minutes until the custard thickens.
- Remove from the stove, cover with baking paper and allow it to cool.
For the Sauce
- Pour some water into a saucepan and let simmer.
- Set a heatproof bowl over the simmering water.
- Add the chocolate chips, coffee and cream to the bowl and use a spoon to stir it as the chocolate melts.
- Cook for five (0:05) minutes until the mixture is creamy and smooth.Slice each profiterole, fill it with the custard and drizzle the sauce over it before serving.